Wolverhampton & Surrounding Areas PACT
Wolverhampton Patient Advisory Cancer Team (PACT)
We welcome new members to join us in our work and value the contribution made by all cancer patients and carers who bring the experience of their cancer to our group and help us fulfil our aim.
Travel expenses are reimbursed to our patient and carer members
Purpose of Group:
Wolverhampton & Surrounding Areas PACT was formed in 2001 with the aim of working together with health Care professionals to influence the improvement of the cancer services both in Wolverhampton and the Greater Midlands Cancer Network (GMCN).
We are funded by both the Wolverhampton Primary Care Trust and the Greater Midlands Cancer Network.
Examples of previous achievements:
- Commissioning a research project on ‘How cancer gets diagnosed in Primary Care ‘. This work was presented nationally and has influenced the needs of primary care in the GMCN
- Successfully lobbied for the Macmillan Information centre at New Cross Hospital and are members of the steering group for the centre.
- Created the Patient Diary for each Cancer Patient at new Cross Hospital
- Had input into the Lung and surgical pathways
- Successfully lobbied for sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer patients at new Cross Hospital.
- Worked with the Information Manager to create the website www.Cancercarewolverhampton.nhs.uk
- Successfully lobbied at Board and local level for a cancer Psychology service at New Hospital for all cancer patients.
- Presented the network cancer survey to the Wolverhampton Cancer Team and have been involved in the Primary Care initiative to adapt this survey locally for every New Cross Hospital cancer patient from October 2009. The team have been involved in the commissioning of the project and are part of the ongoing steering group to monitor and evaluate the findings for the cancer team (LIT).
Current Work programme:
- To identify issues of concern to patients and carers and raise this issues with the appropriate health professionals on their behalf
- Recruitment Drive for new local cancer patients and their carers to join the PACT and help us to achieve greater things.
- Raising awareness of cancer in all its aspects
- Creating a focus group pro-forma for use with Palliative care patients in Wolverhampton
- Ongoing work on surgical discharge pathways for cancer patients
- Reviewing our public literature and work-plans for the year including speakers and our future programme
- Members are involved locally on Patient Environment Action Team (PEAT) inspections at New Cross Hospital, We also have Peer Review user Reviewers as members who assist the hospital to internally verify their services on an annual basis. Many members serve on Network Site Specific Groups at the GMCN
- Some of our members are involved Nationally on the User Peer Review Programme
- Our Chair and the Vice Chair are also members of the GMCN User Partnership
The PACT meets every six weeks at the
Training Centre, Penn Hospital, Penn Road, Wolverhampton from 10 -12am
Event - Open to the public by application to Ann Lake: User Partnership Conference at The Park Inn at Telford. Speakers on: Psychology and General Practitioners in cancer services.
Chair – Janet Aldridge and Diane Wright (Co-Chairs)
Facilitator – Ann Lake – 01902 446810